Crunchy asparagus compliments creamy risotto in this soothing recipe. Perfect for cold nights, long days, and upset stomachs, it’s a feel-good dish the whole family will appreciate.
1 pound asparagus, thick ends removed, spears chopped
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
¼ cup rice
1 cup dry white wine
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reserve 2 cups cooking water and set aside. Drain asparagus and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook until softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring. Add rice and cook 3 minutes, stirring.
3. Add wine, bring to a boil over high, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring to prevent burning, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Add reserved cooking water ¼ cup at a time to saucepan, allowing each batch of liquid to be cooked out before adding the next ¼ cup. Continue until the total 2 cups of cooking liquid has been used, stirring almost constantly. The process should take 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Add reserved asparagus and cheese to saucepan; stir to incorporate and warm through. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.