A takeaway-style egg fried rice recipe, a basic staple food in China.
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup vegetables of choice (carrots, peppers, peas)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt, pepper to taste
- scallions to garnish, chopped
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onion and cook until translucent. Mix in minced garlic and stir regularly.
- Mix in cooked rice and veggies.
- Once the rice is heated, push it to the side with a spatula and make some space for the eggs. Break the eggs into the pan and add a splash of the soy sauce.
- Scramble the eggs until almost done, but still a little runny.
- Mix the eggs into the rice, add more soy sauce if needed.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Top with chopped scallions.
- Serve hot.